This buck was killed yesterday in Richmond in front of Krogers. This makes for heavy hunting pressure and many deer become nocturnal at an early age. 4 pointer killed in butler co while hunting with pappy Posted: 11/26/2022. Settle was able to get an official SCI Green Score on the incredible buck, which came in at a whopping 311 2/8 inches. The raw score of the behemoth buck is 212 inches. Hes killed his fair share of good ones, but theres only ever been one Herman, which is the monster buck he focused on for the past five seasons. The buck was bedded down. I made a little compilation of some big Ohio brutes. Hornady's Seth Swerczek goes in depth about the new cartridge with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. After graduating from college, he worked as a freelance journalist for two years before returning to the F&S team full-time in 2021 as the brands News Editor. Brian Tate Camplin's first deer Dec 11, 2021 Updated Dec 12, 2021. Around 5:30 p.m., he decided to call his friend, Kyle Moore, to see if he wanted to come sit the remainder of the evening with him. He climbed down to look for blood and his arrow but couldnt find any sign that the buck had been hit. He asked where I wanted to hunt, and I told him the same place as yesterday, because I had a good feeling about that spot. (Photos courtesy of Jamison Standard and Casey Reed). I thought, Thats not a rack. Its a natural corridor. Few people could really hunt him because of where he was unless he traveled around or went across the road, which he did.. Or, do I go hunt a deer thatd be the biggest deer Ive ever killed?, I ended up shooting the 162-inch deer, Kline says. Gordon Whittington talks with Steven Sprout about the trophy buck he took back in 1998 while bowhunting public land in Illinois. That number includes about 12,000 bowhunters who registered 3,000 deer. "Don't move. That is one of the best-looking racks I've seen from last season, beautiful color and all those stickers! "The sun was starting to sink but there was still plenty of daylight left.". So, now that you have a brief history of LBL, here is the story of the buck we named Sasquatch.. Buck after buck walked in and out of view, but each one looked up at Lacefields position. Womack's buck will certainly be close, but he'll have to wait another 59 days to get an official Boone & Crockett measurement. Kentucky hunter Daniel Deckard didnt expect to start his deer season with an injury, but thats exactly what happened. The buck slowly walked into bow range. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Jacob Carnine, along with his family, hunted this 193-inch giant for five years on public land in Kentucky. Dustin Huff found one, hitting a record-setting buck with his crossbow. The big velvet buck ran a few steps, tangled its antlers in a tree, and collapsed. Read Next: How to Tag a Velvet Whitetail Buck (and the Best States to Make It Happen). About an hour later a small buck chased a doe from the same direction Dad had seen Sasquatch. I had no shot whatsoever.. Alabama Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries (WFF) is reporting an unusual harvest of large whitetail bucks as this season came to a close Feb. 10, with some true giants showing up on social media and. So, just from knowing the property, I thought that there would be one particular place where a big deer might go to die. Few states offer a good shot at a velvet buck, but Kentucky is one of them. Which begs the question: Why arent more bird hunters using them? Then, the buck started to turn. An Edmond hunter has killed a deer that likely will be a state archery record and is possibly the highest scoring typical whitetail buck ever taken in the state. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. Kentucky Hunting is the leading online community for outdoors enthusiasts to discuss hunting, fishing, archery, and life in Kentucky. People in Limestone County noticed, and so did law enforcement. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. Several oaks were already dropping acorns, and there was heavy deer sign. "My dad raised me to love deer and turkey hunting," Reed said. Personal defense in the hunting woods could involve taking down a charging bear. We would share trail camera pictures with each other and talk about the deer, Kline says. Updated: 8:51 PM EST November 17, 2021 DECATUR COUNTY, Ind. "I was doing everything I could on short notice with food plots, cameras and cleaning up stands," Kirkpatrick said. "I slowly looked right below our stand and there he was," Kirkpatrick recalled. 5 Common Deer Abnormalities Caught on Camera, Oklahoma Hunter Shoots Target Buck That's Locked Up with Another Giant, Potential Kentucky State Record Crossbow Typical Shot in Hemp Field, A Look Back at No. Keith Srakocic AP. But once in the area, he found the buck within minutes. The rifle has five caliber offerings, two barrel choices and three different riser stocks. "As I walked to my stand, I used my rangefinder to range my tree at 50, 40, 30, and 20 yards. Travis Gray says if we dont know about it, we cant investigate it. He grew again and was a 200-incher with some serious mass. ELD-X Precision Hunter). #1 - Wisconsin Wisconsin is the #1 ranked state with 1,822 total entries and six counties in the top 20 U.S. counties with the most records produced. I was hoping Id maybe see him again. Courtesy Logan Beach Logan Beach's Bushwhacking Bruiser Buck: 162 inches Date: Sept. 4, 2021 Location: Caldwell County, Kentucky Method: Compound bow This page is designed to showcase bucks from the Bluegrass State. Then when a game farm reached out and said the antlers looked familiar, Keating knew the whitetail was an escapee. Harvest Comparison by Year. An intensive, four-year pursuit of an elusive buck dubbed "Sasquatch" at Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area (LBL) ended in celebratory tears, hugs, and shared joy between father and son. They recently built a new high fence and they think the deer had gotten out when they were moving deer into the pen.. Aug 20, 2007. To have a deer that big in gun range, and not be able to shoot? Its a thick, secluded creek bottom.. Marlin is back in the game with the re-introduction of the classic 336 and 1894 lever-action hunting rifles. Speaking of city deer is that fort Mitchell deer still kickin. Here are there stories of those giant bucks. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. "The farm hasn't been bowhunted for five-plus years. This year, the rifle will be chambered in 7mm PRC, the hot new load that was a hit at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. He had never seen an animal quite like this one beforeand neither had the rest of the world. All the while, a 162-inch deer showed up on a different farm. Imagine hunting a buck for four years without ever seeing him in person. Kirkpatrick scrambled to get ready for deer season. If the words Butcher Buck dont mean anything to you, its damn time they do. Giant bucks on opening day were taken by Kentucky bowhunters Jamison Standard and Casey Reed. I wasnt really getting many pictures of him, though, and my only good chance to kill this deer was during the rut, Kline says. Nathan Simmons of Browning and Game & Fish's John Taranto take a closer look at both cartridges at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. I want that to be a rack but must be brush or a pile of sticks, or something., Settle got out his Bushnell Powerview 7-1525 binoculars for a better look. 8,446. He thought it probably had a 14 or 16 point rack. AL man illegally kills record-setting buck. KENTON CO., Ky. (FOX19) - An illegal killing of a trophy deer in early November has led to a hunter's arrest for wildlife-related charges and drug charges. "I could tell he would not get as close as the other buck, but would be crossing my shooting area, so I referenced my orange survey tape.". Photo Gallery See all Photos Jamison Standard's Beanfield Behemoth Its unclear when the buck escaped, but Keating started getting pictures of it on September 11. All the congrats to the hunter on taking that buck, but from our record book standpoint, its not an eligible deer, Spring said in an interview with MeatEater. Browning Ammunition has two big-game hunting loads new for 2023 that are effective on a wide range of species: the Max Point and Silver Series. We had kept Sasquatch a secret from almost everyone; even our closest friends had no idea we were hunting this buck. Thats the time Id [historically] get the most pictures of him.. Settle's buck could be a Kentucky state record. Whether you hunt or not, you take notice of an animal like that, Lindsey continued. When hunting season came around, we never got another picture of him. With a 31-inch spread, many who see this deer will claim it's the biggest deer they've ever seen. After she passed away, he quickly picked up the 5-acre lot and moved his family into a two-story log home on the property. Even if he can't reach the Hanson or Johnson buck, Womack will likely beat the current Oklahoma typical record of 194 inches. The massive deer laid dead only 50 yards from the property line. Four of the county's 11 biggest deer were shot during the past five seasons. It was so bad that my dad would take his sheds off the mantle and hide them if we had company. For any game and fish questions or reports call 1(800)272-GAME. He hit the woods on Sept. 25 in hopes of arrowing the big buck he had on camera. Browning's Rafę Nielsen shares details on the new X-Bolt Pro LR McMillan hunting rifle with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. All North American Whitetail subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Moments later, the deer he was after walked into the open and followed the same path as the first buck. It was broadside and slightly quartering away from Settle. A couple hours later, he and his father recovered the buck 90 yards from where Mattingly had shot the big velvet buck. All Rights Reserved. Sweet Streams: 5 Hot Rivers for Midwest Smallies, Euro Nymphing 101: Trout Tactics from Across the Pond, Spin to Win: Panfish Secrets for Catching Limits on Spinners, Best New Baitcasting Rods & Reels for 2022, Backyard Ready: Grilling the Perfect Steak, Winchester Big Bore: Backcountry Bear Protection, Classic Marlin: 336 and 1894 Lever-Action Hunting Rifles, NWTF's Passion for Wild Turkey Conservation Still Burns After 50 Years, First Look: Leupold's BX-4 Range HD Rangefinding Binos, Browning's Max Point, Silver Series Rifle Ammunition, New Hunting Ammo from Remington: 360 Buckhammer, New from Browning: X-Bolt Pro LR McMillan, Hornady's Hot New 7mm PRC Cartridge: SHOT 2023, Hawke Optics' Frontier LRF Laser Range Finding Binoculars, New from LaRue Tactical: Siete Chassis Rifle. Bowhunting is just one of those things that I used to love when I was growing up, Settle adds. This amazing story chronicles the life of a giant whitetail deer Don named "Mel" after Mel Johnson's world record typical whitetail deer. ELD Match, and 175 gr. I never showed the trail cam pictures to anybody I knew what he was., Settle recently set up an elevated ground blind on the corner of his property closest to his house. An Official Website of the Commonwealth of Kentucky . Biggest bucks Ive ever seen were in the middle of Louisville. Then, it happened. Here are there stories of those giant bucks. I immediately facetimed my girlfriend, who was at home with my mom and Luke, to tell them we just killed Sasquatch. Spot and range targets without wasting valuable seconds switching between gear with Luepold's new rangefinder binocular, the BX-4 Range HD. The fence is broken down right there, and I couldnt see it from where I was.. Josh Honeycutt Score: 155 inches. That would be the only time Kline ever spotted the buck from the stand. When I found him, I didnt know what to think. The next morning, Sept. 4, brought cool weather and light southerly winds. It was also the opening of dove season, and after climbing into the stand, he heard gunshots everywhere. A total of 159,962 deer were harvested. LaRue's Ethan Alexander talks about the Siete's features with Game & Fish's Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. We knew Sasquatch was big, but to have our hands on his rack was a completely different story. Andy Beshear told . We thank God for giving us the perseverance and dedication to always press on no matter how frustrating it got. EDITORS NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. 0:05. Ruger's popular American bolt-action rifle has been a hit with hunters for years. Sasquatch went down in his tracks! Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. Neal Kirkpatrick started hunting deer at the age of 9 and credits his grandfather with getting him into the outdoors at such an early age. Shortly after, some young bucks walked through. He suspected the deer was dead somewhere on the sanctuary property. That summer, Dad ordered a topo map of Sasquatchs core area, which was about 3,000 acres. More than 300,000 Hoosiers are sitting in their deer stands, looking for their dream buck this hunting season. He was an impressive 160-inch 12-pointer. All Game & Fish subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. To be so close, and to not be able to pull the trigger, that was difficult to deal with.. Find Your Arrows and Broadhead. Knowing that Kline had actively hunted this deer for years, the landowner was nice enough to let him keep the rack. Mike Clerkin heads to the legendary Buffalo County, Wisconsin, in search of early season whitetail action. Total Harvest Results. As proof of the effort's success, in 2020 two new records were set with the largest typical and non-typical archery bucks ever taken . In the video above, Leopold's Shawn Skipper highlights the features of the exciting new optics with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. "I never thought in a million years I would shoot a deer that big," said Zach Meadows, who shot the buck with his bow on Nov. 3 in Logan County. But he never got the chance. He even had surgery on his wrist. Jason Kline shows off the beast that he hunted for nearly a decade. East ky. Strutter said: This buck was killed yesterday in Richmond in front of Krogers. Still, he and others regularly glassed the giant out in the open on the big farm that wouldnt allow hunting . It worked out, though. While Deckard had hoped his father would be the one to kill the big velvet buck, they were both just glad a Deckard had tagged him. "It came out into the soybeans broadside at 20 yards right in front of me," Standard said. It was on Sept. 4 when Jamison Standard and Casey Reed tagged two of the biggest deer from opening day. GILBERT, W.Va . In the video above, Matt Willson of Ruger highlights the features with Game & Fish's John Taranto. We are still blown away that we killed Sasquatch. It isnt every day you tag a giant 179-inch deer, and its even rarer to do so with traditional archery equipment. Fortunately, Kline has permission to hunt a 7-acre parcel that borders the sanctuary. His treestand was positioned on the ridge, with bedding cover at the end of the point. The rack is still in the drying phase before it can be officially scored B&C. The deer jumped, and then walked back into cover. He was a disabled veteran who served the country in the Army and was commended by Kentucky Senator Robert Mills for making many lasting contributions to his friends, family, community, and nation before his passing on March 25, 2021. Terry was never able to join Settle in the field when he was alive because of his disability. I got out of the tree and slowly walked over to Sasquatch. He did some landscaping for the woman who lived on the plot. Dad tried grunting to stop him, but he was not stopping. Word continued to spread, and once social media got ahold of the story it went viral. Read Next: Shed Hunting: Secrets of the Shed Masters. In the beginning, the deer was mostly typical, but that changed with time. In the video above, Matt Willson of Ruger highlights the features with Game & Fish's John Taranto. I never told a soul about him. note the day it was shot, Nov. 11. Afterward, Reed's father and brother-in-law helped him recover the buck and get it out of the field. Read Next: 10 Amazing Photos of a Buck Shedding Velvet. I didn't have high expectations for the hunt. Here are a handful of the best velvet bucks to come out of Kentuckys 2021 bowseason. I have two children and I hope that in the future they will want to go hunting with me and be as passionate about it as I am. By mid-October he was gone again, so we started scouting the area with cameras trying to find him. If you took you vacation every year Nov. 9-12, youre in best window for big bucks moving in day. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. We looked for his sheds and never found those either. Among the accomplishments includes the recently concluded Save the Habitat, Save the Hunt initiative, which in 10 years conserved or enhanced 5.3 million acres of critical wildlife habitat, recruited 1.5 million new or lapsed hunters, and opened new access to 750,000 acres for hunting and recreation. Eventually he found waterfowl hunting, which has consumed his time in recent years, but he finds his way back to the deer woods every season. Words cannot describe the image of him coming in.". Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller gets more info from Hawke's Paige Shipe at SHOT Show 2023 in Las Vegas. Ken Vitale with Buck Knives chats with Game & Fish Editorial Director Adam Heggenstaller about two new hunting knives for 2023the purpose-built Alpha and PakLite series. Ed Arkenau, his son, and their friend Cole had hundreds of trail camera photos of a particular buck in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Dad always says, Hunt harder, go deeper, stay longer and when you want to quit, youre almost there. LBL does offer a three-day rifle quota hunt in November that you must apply for and draw a permit. That isnt the area of Ohio thats best known for big deerthe southern third of the state is more often recognized as monster buck countrybut dont tell that to Kline who recently picked up Hermans 233 7/8-inch rack. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. On Sept. 4, well before daylight, the Arkenaus eased into an elevated Muddy blind positioned on a wood line. His second shot struck true. Then he retrieved his gear from the blind returned home to pick up his 16- and 18-year-old boys, who Settle calls his little tracking dogs. They went back to look for the buck. It started with a friend of ours getting one trail camera picture of him in December 2017. November 11, 2021 - 3:17 pm. Marlin is back in the game with the re-introduction of the classic 336 and 1894 lever-action hunting rifles. (Photo courtesy of Jacob Carnine). The number of times I thought Dad was going crazy over this deer was countless. Occasionally, the buck traveled through the 7-acre property. One of the things Kentucky deer hunters look forward to is hunting velvet bucks. Of the elk harvested, 21,000 were bulls. They use the clearing to get back and forth between the ag-fields and the hardwoods., Settle got to work setting up mineral and food plots and installing several permanent stands.

Methodist Episcopal Church, South Archives, Crystal Quarry Adelaide, Isn't It Past Your Bedtime Comebacks, Advantages And Disadvantages Of The Criminal Justice Act 2003, Articles B

biggest deer killed in kentucky 2021Leave A Comment