I actually like the looks of those babies! *We may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site. The stickers are silver, but the Slinger logo is a black heavy type face and says pat. When youre in the market for Spalding clubs, bear in mind that they were branded as Top-Flite clubs for a while, so be sure to broaden your search to include Top-Flite models. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Your link has been automatically embedded. I have been playing golf over 40 years and have owned many brands of clubs. Sold them to a guy 30 years younger who also loved them. There are so many different sets of irons available nowadays, Im happy with my Execs. Thanks, http://www.clubsofdistinction.com/cod3/ucir5177.htm. So, if youre buying or selling Spalding clubs that are in reasonably good shape, you can set your expectations around $100 to begin with. Make Request. Thats great. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. The reason why Spalding clubs arent particularly valuable is that they have been widely available for so many years. Someone suggested to me they were a prototype club for Johnny Miller, but were never marketed. And although Top Flite is still in business today, its a brand that most golfers associate with cheap equipment of inferior quality. !but they had a very proprietary, strange-sized grip. I bought a set of blue-backed Uniques back in the early 80s. Any of you still have a set of these beauties laying around? The market was changing rapidly, as well. And continuity, leadership, and smart decisions matter. & Bubba Dickerson won the 2001 US Amatuer with a set of Nicklaus Bears! And if you did not have the exact lie to match your swing could cause issues with the toe or heel diving down at impact. worst time to visit costa rica; apartments for rent in fort pierce with utilities included; sunshine plaza opening hours sunday; photosynthesis and cellular respiration kahoot document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); MyGolfSpy is gearing up to conduct the second edition of our groundbreaking ball test. lol..!! Great list! They also specialized in unique clubs like the Cran Creek. This is the story of Spaldings Final Countdown. Thanks for you4 diligence and reporting. No. I remember a set called Canon I think, possibly a Spalding brand. The Cobra set left handed golf club set is made of premium products. The company stayed the course, and the result is a thriving, profitable company. i knew a guy who was a 4 handicap, and he used the spalding executives. What a mess that design was! Spalding, like its old school brethren Wilson and MacGregor, simply wasnt sexy to a new generation of golfers. Still, the Uniques are the best irons I have ever hit! Actually, we used to produce more golf balls than Titleist. I just picked up 6 thru 9 of the Browning 440 Plus irons at the Goodwillcant wait to try them out. These were said to be Moe Normans favorite clubs and are rated by the MyGolfSpy Forums resident vintage club expert Big Stu as the third greatest pure forged blade of all time. Who Makes Dunlop Golf Clubs? ), Finn Scooter Golf Reviews (Are These the Real Deal? Club-makers traditional method had been to shape metal heads with an anvil and forge. I had a set of Tiger Sharks(the short irons hit the ball miles).The follow up Great Whites Regardless, both are great sets. Our friends[], Amazing Ryder Cup Contest! Ive got other odd clubs, a clear/see thru 5W, 68 & 73 degree wedge (of course, they may not be considered crazy. It was an interesting period to work for Spalding but sad to watch the demise of the brand it should never of happened ! While the idea of owning a golf company sounds great, the list of companies that tried and failed is long. Spalding had a long history, terrific heritage, and healthy topline sales of over $500 million. Of course, it is the Indian not the arrow to some extent, but he does well. Made from 1989-1994 and originally sold for $680. There are still folks around from when Mr. Hogan ran the company and I am sure you can get some keen insights not only of the company but of Mr. Hogan himself. Its an interesting question to ask about a company that was a factor for over 125 years. Get the best deals on Spalding Executive Irons when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. . * Note: These irons were designed in Belgium by the Belgium-Browning company. today. I love it but was told it is no a legal putter. * Note: These irons were designed by Dave (cant remember last name) which was considered a very good designer by others in the business at the time and one that some felt did not get as much credit as he deserved. I cant believe to Ping Zing 2s are on the list. I had never seen the Fila irons before now. Upgraded my driver from R7 to Razr Hawk, but will never surrender my Slingshots. When my father would shot a 215 yard iron into the hole, his fellow golfers wold ask him what club he used. Within weeks, Top-Flite filed Chapter 11. I have a set of clubs with Belmont Power on them. Return Policy > WORLDWIDE SHIPPING. It felt like a rock but flew like a rocket and weekend warriors bought them by the bushel. At the turn of the 20th Century, golf had stirred mild interest in the United States, and A.G. Spalding & Brothers sporting goods saw an opportunity. Well then so did everyone else. A set of wedges were introduced several years ago claiming to be New and the best thing since sliced bread, but they looked strangely similar to the Golden Touch irons. Model: Tour Pro Offset Thanks. "@type": "Organization", Today, Spalding golf clubs still exist, but theyre nowhere near as popular as they once were. He has provided some keen insights from his time with Mr. Hogan in other articles and podcasts. Anybody know anything? Spalding Golf Clubs: Do Still Make Them & How Much? FIND A SET! APPLY NOW: Cleveland Frontline Elite Putters! I think a list of the craziest irons made should definitely include the Jerry Barber Golden Touch irons made over 40 years ago. Fascinating how these once great brands essentially disappeared altogether. Iomic Golf Grips: 8 Key Facts Before You Buy. I play with several timesa year. With new sexy companies like Titleist, Callaway, and TaylorMade, and golfers like Tiger and Phil, the new aged golfer wasnt interested in playing their grandpas golf clubs. Sales declined into the 2000s, and Spalding made their last club in 2002. Until the USGA banned deep-grooved irons, Spalding's Stop 'Em and Dedstop clubs brought a smile to countless players' faces. They definitely arent the prettiest of clubs but I did enjoy playing them. I still think I deserve to be recognized as the leader in this category and will be appealing your decision. New entries such as Nike and Adams were turning heads as well. Fugly yes looks kinda like a pancake spatula at address but effective. His stuff was marvelous and all original. (Cavity back blades???) With a few months of work and some radical design modifications it was turned into the first modern Metalwood. Quite honestly, we werent ready for that.. MyGolfSpy is usually a place you guys come to see the latest and greatest equipment the golf industry has to offer. It was just crazy how many golf balls we would sell through Wal-Mart in 18-ball pack, adds White Wed get orders on the fax machine for 50,000 18-ball packs, and theyd want them in two weeks.. In that year, the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) took shape, and many of the fledgling tour's stars already had endorsement deals with Spalding. Spaldings buddy Wright had been doing the same thing since 1892. Incidentally, Vulcan (Chicago suburb club makers who made some of the earliest hybrids) made a full set of hybrids 3-SW. You have not lived until you hit good hybrid wedges! At the time of the sale, it was considered the lowest cost and most efficient operation in the industry. Got them for $200.00 which was a really great price other pro shops were asking $450.00 for a set. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. What is it for weight transfer? Money put a few of these clubs on touralthough that does not mean they were worth a penny. My Uncle had the Executives and my Dad had the XL-4s. He actually manufactured a set of irons whose heads were literally upside down take an iron, turn in upside down, your top edge now hits the turf, the sole having a hosel. We want you to get the most out of your You can post now and register later. I would love to have you include my Whole-In-One Adjustable Telescopic Golf Club in your mixdefinitely fits the criteria of unusual clubs. We had hybrids back in the 80s. Cliffy2020 That year Albert and his brothers opened the A.G. Spalding & Brothers sporting goods company and started making baseballs. He was a pro at having fun when he played golf! It was the mold makers attempt to make at a hollow head, wooden shape club. By this time, Spalding was making everything from barbells, dumbells, punching bags, and rowing machines to fencing blades, whistles, shot puts, javelins, and golf clubs. What about Goldwin?? Spalding Executive clubs were established in the 1960s, with the Top Flite Executive Synchro-Dyned golf clubs being the first in a super popular series. what is spanish colonial music? Right now Ive been with the Execs 2 then 5 SW, Ram 64 wedge, 1 & 3 wood, both hybrids and putter. Men's Right Handed. Matched them to Wilson Pro Staff low compressions and I was a happy camper. Spalding lost $27 million in 2000 and another $20 million in 2001. I really enjoy reading your articles, John. But, the #1 weird club goes to the Slingeryour #1 choice. Throughout the 90s and into the early 2000s, Spalding and Titleist were running neck and neck in golf ball production. 2023 Genesis Invitational - Monday #3. "url": "https://swingyard.com/wp-content/uploads/Spalding-Irons-by-Year.jpg" No, while you might be able to find Spalding golf clubs at thrift stores and via used online marketplaces, Spalding no longer manufactures golf clubs. Another great history piece. The old Spaulding Executive set I had back in the early 1980s. "headline": "Spalding Irons by Year", Its obvious that the maker of the Slingers spent SO much money on R&D that he had to use STICKERS instead of stamped lettering. Bought the Slotlines new. The Strata, however, proved to be a gold mine for Spalding. Golf bags bulged with 20 to 25 clubs, and the USGA, fearing too many specialty clubs had watered down the skill required in golf, took action. The primary reason why Spalding halted the production of golf clubs was that they couldnt keep up with the competition. Callaway had long wanted Top-Flites ball factory and patents but didnt want to assume any debt. I played Spaulding Black Dots back in late 60s. I asked him about it and he said he had shown it to Spaulding, Wilson and MacGregor and their response was It will never sell!!!! I was the person responsible for introducing urethane prepolymers to Dr Shen Shen Wu, Titleist R&D chemist. Today, Spalding Executive clubs arent worth a great deal of money. Well today is going to be a little bit different. That debt burden, however, finally proved fatal. In 1892 Spalding went into acquisition mode, buying up two key competitors: the A.J. Got the 3 PW for 3.99 a club, bought the 5- PW first, played two rounds and went back and bought the 3 & 4. Clare. Promoting both sports and sports equipment, the lineup featured titles such as How To Play Second Base by Hall of Famer Johnny Evers, Boxing: A Guide to the Manly Art of Self Defense, and How to Play Golf by Harry Vardon and James Braid. I have not 1 but 2 sets of Browning 440 irons. The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight. - BenHogan. It was a time-consuming, costly and inconsistent process. Spalding decided it would be good business to provide golf course design services free of charge to anyone with the money and inclination to build one. Laugh if you must, but the design works. If so send them to contact(at)mygolfspy.com. Of course Drivers and putters are like women. Colin Montgomerie joined the staff, and Spalding had big plans. GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, Tuesday at 04:47 PM, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 20, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 13, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, February 6, GolfWRX_Spotted posted a topic in Tour and Pre-Release Equipment, January 31, By I collect odd golf items. We will miss Jim and his innovation ! Golfers have always known that deep-grooved irons produce better control and spin. Just terribleand never sold thruas well it shouldnt. As a former pro athlete, Spalding saw the value of using professionals to help promote both the game and his products. Needed a set of clubs to play for a few days and found these. Terrific article as usual Mr. Barra. Spalding club-makers paid as much scrutiny to shafts as heads. The company's unique "baseball mark" A.G. Spalding had helped put baseball on the map--was stamped on the clubs and below it "Made in Great Britain" appeared. Not quite Bryson-like, but innovative for the day. They are a blade from the early 80`s. Its on the list! TaylorMade, by comparison, has been sold twice in the past four years. Just saw a full set of them again today. Design the future of bad golf! Currently play AP2s coming out of the bag for a few rounds and if the linear dynamics keep performing like they did in Vegas the AP2s will be taking a long rest. Ive owned. Paste as plain text instead, Thanks. Alternatively, you can look on a discount site like Rock Bottom Golf. In 1900, Spalding released the Vardon Flyer, the golf ball used by Harry Vardon. I love them so much I have four sets, just a case a club breaks. Could not beleive how well I hit this clubs. But, they were NOS (New Old Stock) and with Ohio State grips and headcovers; so a diehard Buckeye fan. Though he is a footnote in the PGA history he was briefly on tour in the 50s. why did patrice o'neal leave the office; why do i keep smelling hairspray; giant ride control one auto mode; current fishing report: lake havasu I traded in some Titleist Acushnet blades for themI had only paid $99.00 for the set of Acushnets (used)they gave me $139.00 in trade value, and wanted another $100 for the UniquesThey were some of the easiest to hit irons I have ever ownedout of the 40 50 different sets I have had. Long irons with shallow faces, little offset and perhaps slightly softer shafts can be quite playable. document.getElementById( "ak_js" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Do you remember what golf websites you were shopping on back in 1995?

Oldest Inmate In Mississippi, Articles W

when were spalding executive golf clubs madeLeave A Comment