Unfortunately however continued appearances and overuse in the years to come winded up making him infamous as one of the most hated fictional characters of all time fans, critics, and audiences alike. However, Zarkos falls over the vat after his fight with Daphne (who pushed him in), releasing the people's protoplasm to their bodies, returning to their bodies while the demons exploded from being exposed to the sunlight reflection on the skeleton disco ball, having Scrappy completely outsmarted and his army destroyed. While screaming in terror and horror, he loses all of his protoplasm and then morphs back into Scrappy-Doo. So he always remained this headstrong, abrasive character instead of growing and learning. Scooby-Dum never enjoyed the central role that Scrappy achieved, but he embodies the creators' attempts to reach outside the immediate Scooby Gang for material. He is the nephew of Hanna-Barbera cartoon star Scooby-Doo. Scrappy argues that ghosts do exist and when he finds them, he will give them a dose of "puppy power" and he then urinates on Daphne. Because I, Scrappy Dappy Doo, have absorbed enough energy to - to rule the world with my all-powerful army! According to Evanier, Standards and Practices found the little guy too independent and wanted im to conform more with his uncle Scooby. Scrappy says he was brought onto Scooby's show because they needed good acting. (He was a hit with children and some older fans, but there were others who didn't care for him.) On the strength of that script, the series was picked up. Why is Scrappy Doo from Scooby Doo so hated among fans of the show? . Have fun sleeping tonight Yeah, you know you're a horrible character when a horrible adaptation thinks you're insufferable. The Scooby-Doo Show: Ebenezer Crabbe | Netty Crabbe | Ghost of King Katazuma | Aztec Statue Monster | Gator Ghoul | 10,000 Volt Ghost | Headless Horseman | Ghost of Merlin | Black Knight | Dr. Coffin | Ambulance Guys | No-Face Zombie | Gorilla | Mamba Wamba | Zombie Lila | Mamba Zombie | Demon | Tamuka | Medicine Man Ghost | Demon Shark | Octopus Monster | Kelp Monster | Captain Pescado | Rambling Ghost | Technicolored Phantoms | Spirits of '76 | Viking Ghosts | Gramps the Vamp | Pterodactyl Ghost | Phantom of Milo Booth | Phantom Racer | Witch McCoy | Zombie | Futuristic Monster | Sea Creature | Captain Clements | Willawaw | Owlmen | Skeleton Men | Snow Beast | Ghost Witch of Salem | Tar Monster | Ghost of Finnyan McDuff | Old Iron Face | Jaguaro | Cat Creature | Mantis Creature | Disc Demon | Moon Monster | Ghostly Gondolier | Ghost of Juan Carlos | Anthos | Beast of Bottomless Lake All Muppets, Bear characters are copyright Several years later, Scrappy disguised himself as Emile Mondavarious, the owner of Spooky Island, though the gang didn't know. Therefore, it's now been revealed that Tory's new sentencing date is April 10, according to TMZ. | guides It wasn't until the early 2000s with the various tv movies & mystery incorporated that they started to take the characters & plot more seriously. aw scooby dum was the best i always liked him in the eps he appeared and laff-a-lympics. Scrappy I think should still be with the gang, because next to Scooby and Shaggy he has more personality than the rest of Mystery Inc. What does everyone else think about him? He later greeted the gang in his Mondavarious disguise again that night during a party when the demons attacked. 0 replies 0 retweets 1 like. Bland as they were, Fred and Velma did put clues together and solve mysteries, and along with Daphne, they delivered much of the exposition and asked necessary questions. As Scrappy-Rex, he has the ability to knock aside enemies with brute force and could lift Scooby-Doo. Of course, that kind of outrage over a Saturday morning cartoon should always be taken with a giant shakers worth of salt, especially in the age of Twitter and YouTube comments sections. Fred tells him he has told him "Scrappy for the thousandth time there is no such thing as ghosts." Scooby and Shaggy might be there only for comic relief, but they do it well. "The Fiesta Host is an Aztec Ghost". However, they weren't totally sold on Weinribeither, and continued to audition newvoice actors as the first season was in production. Only now, there was an irascible puppy that wanted to duke it out with the crooks instead of fleeing from them or solving the mystery. Maybe "Return to Zombie Island" could reunite the entire team like how "Zombie Island" reunited the classic one? With their departure, and with Shaggy and Scooby still played as comic characters, Scrappy was left to take up the slack, in effect becoming the straight man of the franchise a younger, more lively, and active straight man who found the idea of ghosts and goblins exciting. The much-loved Scooby-Doo reminds everyone of their childhood and the magical days of Cartoon Network supremacy. Scrappy's introduction was a latch ditch attempt to keep the show afloat, and at the time, he single-handedly saved the series, as the kids LOVED him and rating skyrocketed, leading to future Scooby stuff having a larger emphasis on Scrappy, at the annoyance and anger of the many, MANY people who hated him. In bothThe New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show and The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour, Fred, Daphne, and Velma fillsupporting roles, as the focus is trained onScrappy, Shaggy, and Scooby. Daphne (and Flim Flam, a far more obnoxious sidekick than Scrappy ever was) were still along for the ride, but when The 13 Ghosts finished its very brief run, Scooby-Doo persisted as a series of TV movies with Scooby, Scrappy, and a palette-swapped Shaggy mixed up in various supernatural situations. This is presumably the reason why his first season was released on DVD for the first time in 2015 (it was also notably the first time he appeared on a DVD cover in the US, and his second time ever after a 2012 European release of Happy Birthday, Scooby Doo), as well as the reason for James Gunn's apology. Scrappy was characterized by extreme arrogance and egomania, believing he could overpower any opponents with his "puppy power". The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo: Bogel and Weerd | Werewolves | Maldor the Malevolent | Queen Morbidia | Reflector Specter | Zomba | Captain Ferguson | Nekara | Marcella | Time Slime | Demondo | Rankor | Professor Phantazmo | Zimbulu His last words to the gang are, "And I would have gotten away with it, too! Still, Scrappys taken shots pretty consistently for the past three decades, so there is something to the negative fan reception. When Velma left, Scrappy was the one solving mysteries and answering questions (this is most obvious in Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers). Introduced in 1979, Scrappy is introduced in an attempt to save the Scooby-Doo franchise from irrelevancy. Sadly we only got two episodes with Messick's version of the character alongside the entire gang (Happy Birthday Scooby Doo and A Halloween Hassle at Dracula's Castle), and even then, those episodes feature Marla Frumkin as Velma, which is an entirely different can of worms. Or something like that. This blog does not store any files on its server. This resulted in Scrappy becoming Scooby-Doos villain, intended to play on viewers dislike for the character. Television "All it took to make a firm decision was someone asking for above scale," Mark Evanier(Scrappy-Doo's creator)recalled. When Scrappy realizes this, he gasps in shock and Fred immediately stops the Mystery Machine, sending Scrappy flying into the windscreen. So while the meme . He only needed Scooby's protoplasm (a "pure soul") to complete his transformation and become unstoppable. Bill McLemore | He felt bad for scaring his girlfriend, but he knew he was a hell of a lot more scared than she was. He also has a great interest in art and screenwriting, and can often be found sketching or drafting stories. Introduced in 1979, Scrappy ranks with the likes of Jar Jar Binks as one of the most hated fictional characters ever. Sea Serpent Smugglers | He abducted the park's owner, Emile Mondavarious, and locked him up in a hole. Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? Can you navigate and watch the . NOW! Those Scooby fans who turn their nose up at Scrappy and blame him for bringing the franchise down should know that Scrappy's the only reason Scooby-Doo survived long enough to reach the age. He was unceremoniously dropped from the franchise at the end of the 1980s and hasnt been allowed back into the TV series since. Scrappy argues that ghosts do exist and when he finds them, he'll give them a dose of his "puppy power" and he then accidentally urinates on Daphne, giving a long hot stream of yellow pee on her as he sighs with relief, demonstrating his puppy power, much to Daphne's disgust. You must log in or register to reply here. However, social media has created an illusion that being a normal person is somehow a bad thing. Fan site Muppet Central created by Phillip Chapman. Despite Scrappy-Rex being a villain, he is similar to the Hulk from the. "I forget all the terms they used but I vividly recall [them saying he was]'too independent.'". And in that live action movie they made him evil! To me, the reason why Scrappy was there because when they "rebooted" the series with Pup Named Scooby Doo, they told him to wait until they work him in other . 4:47 PM - 7 Jan 2016. So I got a little cranky!Scrappy foolishly trying (rather miserably) to save face. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Scooby Doo Winter Wonderdog (DVD, 2002), Free Shipping at the best online prices at eBay! Its unclear how he would have factored into the main plot, making little sense since he was caught in Scooby-Doos opening. What's So Bad About Scrappy-Doo? : Black Knight | Phantom | Captain Cutler | Miner 49er | Indian Witch Doctor | Elias Kingston | Apeman | Charlie | Puppeteer | Ghost Clown | Big Bob Oakley | Mummy | Witch | Bald Zombie | Space Kook | Redbeard | Redbeard's Crew | Phantom Shadow | Snow Ghost | Ghost of Mr. Hyde | Scare Pair | Zen Tuo | Caveman | Creeper | Phony Phantom | Witch Doctor | Werewolf | Wax Phantom After he answered with his normal job and the crowd of people laughed. All of the character's negative traits and bad habits were condensed into one scene and dialed up to 11. This is starting to become a Frequently Asked Question. However, in recent years, there has been a resurgence (mostly due to Tumblr and Twitter) of Scrappy fans, people like myself who grew up with the character and were either oblivious to the hate or loving the character in spite of it, and he has a modestly sized fanbase. Scrappy-Doo was largely absent from the spotlight from 1988-1999, at which point the powers that be made a concerted effort to run his name through the mud. Outside the arts, William enjoys cooking, baking, and fencing (Olympic saber and rapier). Daphne would occasionally rejoin the cast in certain incarnations, but for much of the 1980s, Scooby-Doo was a three-man team. Central Staff. Morgan Moonscar | In 1979, Scrappy-Doo was brought on to revitalize theScooby-Doofranchise. Scooby-Doo, according to Silver, clearly has Dissociative Identity Disorder because he's a dog who "thinks he's people." Silver says the smoking gun is Scooby's extended family of "nutty dogs". The ill-advised 2002 live-action film made him into a maniacal villain. In the live-action Scooby-Doomovie, Scrappy is voiced by Scott Innes. N' Goo Tuana | Muttley (2020) | Scrappy and his henchmen are then arrested and taken to prison as police helicopters arrive on the island, with a humiliated Scrappy being taken away in a dog cage by the police officer. Island Tribe | He completed his undergraduate degree at the University of St. Andrews, before gaining his Master's in Film & TV Production with Directing at the University of York. Crimson Cloak | Although he is sometimes referred to, regarding on how nobody likes him. This soured many fans, and there were in fact plenty of fans who disliked Scrappy instantly for his personality. Were these TV movies any good? Scrappy's appearance in the movie was probably hinted at when Warner Bros. released. Why Scooby's maligned nephew deserves some slack. I dont get why Velma, confident and affable in the first series, has since been made a cynical, deadpan nerd with self-esteem issues. and Scooby shrugs. a robot being operated by none other than Scrappy-Doo, Scooby's . The Richie Rich/The Scooby-Doo Show: Sylvester | The Burglar | Arabian Magician | Cat Man | Sailor | Werner Wolf Press J to jump to the feed. However many locations are taking the outlane posts out and setting the ball saves all the off completely. Gosnell thought the original monster was really unsatisfying, as it wasnt known to the gang and didnt really come from anywhere. He then built an android duplicate of him and impersonated him with it. Born at St. Bernard's Hospital to Scooby-Doo's sister Ruby-Doo on December 20, 1979. He immediately rejected the movie upon hearing Scrappy was in it.). But the abrasive manner in which he was written and portrayed during Weinrib's tenure stuck in the minds of fans and critics. Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! More recent series and films have tried to graft personalities on to them, often at the expense of any meaningful role for Shaggy and Scooby in the various films and shows of the modern era. In order to keep Scrappy's appearance and role in the live-action movie a true surprise, Warner Bros. purposely excluded him from the movie's Game Boy Advance videogame. He then managed to catch Scooby after Mary Jane hands him over. Zarkos | Are Fred and Daphne a couple? The writers (at least some of them) even enjoyed working with the character. The bad guys are essentially the epicenter of each episode and have delivered lasting spooks and scares throughout the series. Shaggy and Scooby were always portrayed as scared and hungry; while the new take on their characters may have held potential, it ultimately just doesn't suit them. Older fans who liked the show felt like he was dumbed down to appeal to little kids. His art and short stories have appeared in "Intergalactic Medicine Show," "Bards and Sages Quarterly," and "Another Realm" e-zine. Scrappy was in one of the bloopers of the 2003 Scooby-Doo film, Scrappy was mentioned on the season 1 finale of, Scrappy is also portrayed as a villain in the comic book series. having 5 Children Scoooby was always my best friend, It was my time to getthings done when scooby went on, the kids were busy and i could do the things I needed to. And Scrappy isn't really a villain. Scrappy to N'Goo while the two attempt to remove Scooby's soul again.Let's finish this puppy! I hate him because hes a arrogant, obnoxious, egotistical little bastard whos only purpose was to boost ratings that may sound harsh but theres nothing nice to say about that little cunt. His red shirt seemed to give Shaggy a little more sense of responsibility, and as the only human in the main cast, he almost had to become more of a detective and straight man. Ironically, Scrappy-Doo was introduced to the cartoon series in 1979 to save the Scooby-Doo franchise from becoming irrelevant. He was too rebellious, too outspoken," Evanier remembers. Around this time, Cartoon Network also ran an unflattering network promo featuring Scrappy. He is the nephew of the titular Scooby-Doo. of The Jim Henson Company. In 2015, Warner Bros. released a DVD containing Scrappy's first 16 episodes and Scrappy was included on the front cover. and I admit, I The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show: Olaf the Terrible | Viking Pirates | Seaweed Monster | Great White Shark | Mud Monster | Hound of Bakervilles | Dinosaur | Creature from the Chem Lab | Masked Manx | Mr. Cyclops | Ivan | Randar the Ape-Man | Neanderthal Monster | Chameleon | Phantom of the Soaps | Clown | The Minotaur | Casey O'Reily | Gremlin | Specter of Sports Cars | Chef Maras | Mummy | McBaggy Roger And the fact that this new character burst onto the scene with equal billing on the title while three core cast members were dumped rubbed some fans the wrong way (and helped to inspire Poochie on The Simpsons years later). Scrappy and his allies created an army of monstrous demons through voodoo, but the monsters die when exposed to sunlight, so they possessed humans to become immune to sunlight while the souls of the people were converted into protoplasm and kept in the cave beneath the island. Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo: Blue Scarab | Night Ghoul | Alien | Neon Phantom | Snake Demon | Sky Skeleton | Dragon Beast | Devil Bear | Sea Beast | Lady Vampire of the Bay | Star Creature | Shadow Creature | Ghost of Jeremiah Pratt | Great Haldane | Minotaur | Carl and Tony As Scrappy Rex, he is a gigantic, monstrous beast with an overweight but muscular build, large sharpened teeth, sharp claws and huge eyebrows. Scrappy was seen in a 2014 State Farm ad. Joe Barbera established the basic idea of a little nephew named Scrappy-Doo, animator Iwo Takamoto (probably) prepared a character design, and writer Mark Evanier developed Scrappys personality with Looney Tunes star Henry Hawk as a model. Ironically enough, I never found Scrappy annoying and tbh, there are far WORSE characters with flaws more glaring than Scrappy. In the 60 second advertisement, Scrappystands outside the studio's doorand bullies Cartoon Network's otheranimated characters as they enter. In 1979, after three series and a range of gimmicks from celebrity guest stars to dimwit cousin Scrappy-Dum, Scooby-Doo was on its last legs. In a promo for Cartoon Network's 20th anniversary, when the CN characters are taking a picture, Jake the Bulldog pulls Scrappy out of the photo before it is taken. He then kicks his suitcase in anger and frustration, knocking it over and hurting his foot. After Scrappy absorbs the souls, he would become a powerful monster known as Scrappy Rex. Debuting in 1979 as Scoobys courageous nephew, Scrappy is notoriously viewed as a franchise blunder. Miss Mirimoto | He invited his uncle Scooby (because he had a pure soul), and also invited his friends to Spooky Island so they could witness Scrappy's triumph. We only index and link to content provided on other servers. Surprisingly, much of the animosity for the character began withCartoon Network. Katz | He greeted the gang in his Mondavarious disguise and told them the case details. But Scrappy came in for trouble before he ever made it to the air. Free shipping for many products! Some people are upset that Fred, Daphne, and Velma aren't around when he's there, but of those three the only one I really like would be Velma. And the Scrappy has become a popular term for late-addition characters rejected by fans. The 80s as a whole arent exactly the most beloved era of Scooby-Doo, or animated network television as a whole for that matter, and a padded, meandering film like Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers isnt going to win any Emmys. His last words to the gang are, "And I would have gotten away with it, too! Hi. I like him personally, he's a lot less annoying than Daphne in my opinion. He also idolized Scooby and was firmly loyal to the group, often courageously (or brazenly) standing up for them when they were being attacked. According to director Raja Gosnell, an early draft of Scooby-Doo featured an entirely different villain, albeit one who made far more sense combined with the Daemon Ritus plot. The shrinking cast would allow him to evolve further. It is currently unknown what happened to Scrappy and his henchmen in the end, but they most likely remained in prison. Scrappy to the demon-possessed Mary Jane.Give me the dog! However, Scrappy's reign was short-lived. During the game itself, Pat Summerall listed adding Scrappy to Scooby-Doo as one of the worst business decisions ever made. I am an admin of this site. For all the things I questioned about Scooby-Doo even as a kid, the two talking dogs having different speech patterns never crossed my mind, and I've never seen a Scrappy hater bring it up. In 1979, ABC was on the verge of canceling Scooby-Doo, as the franchise's basic formula was beginning to feel stale. With the recent announcement of The Curse of the 13th Ghost, and the fact that it features the return of Vincent Van Ghoul, and the infamous Flim-Flam (who himself was more hated than Scrappy Doo, if that's possible), we could see him appear in that movie, as he was an integral part of that show. After fixing himself, Scrappy crosses his arms and irritably states it was an accident, but Fred calls his bluff and furiously accuses him of marking his territory. The Spectre of Ebenezer Crabbe and the Ghost of Netty Crabbe. I mean all the bad guys that were unmasked by the Scooby gang in that series. Thanks to Scrappy being the villain in the movie (and of course being extremely unpopular), he hasn't been seen again, at least physically, in any more Scooby-Doo projects to date. Ghosts don't stand a chance with me! There is a game on cartoonnetwork.com called "Scrappy Stinks". Ever since childhood, Murray has been a big fan of Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the undisputed masterpiece that is Brendan Fraser's The Mummy. Rotten Robots | Scrappert "Scrappy" Cornelius Doo is a tritagonist in the Scooby-Doo original franchise. Also from Scrappy-Doo, usually reinforced by his forepaws simulating boxing moves (howbeit comically). Fred annoyingly tells him he has told him before ghosts do not exist (referencing the fact that the versions of the show Scrappy are in by portraying real supernatural creatures as commonplace). Gnarlybeard | Laura | In his original 1979 series, he was voiced by Lennie Weinrib. Is he really that bad? Oh, get over it! There Was A Conspiracy To Make You Hate Scrappy-Doo, And We Can Prove It. I'll [gets whacked by Scooby] Oww!!

150 In One Electronic Project Kit Manual Pdf, Surprise Lake High Dive, A High School Randomly Selected 75 Of The 200 Seniors, Articles W

why was scrappy doo a bad guyLeave A Comment