Ill miss you. Though WGN Radio and the Tribune Co.'s broadcast and publishing divisions are going their separate ways, they made some great history together with their unique marriage starting on March 29, 1924. Verified. The camera occasionally pans to meteorologist Paul Konrad, who whistles as the banter . Russel Hamm, Chicago Tribune, The cornerstone of the new WGN building is set into place on July 6, 1950 in Tribune square. Tallenna nimeni, shkpostiosoitteeni ja kotisivuni thn selaimeen seuraavaa kommentointikertaa varten. Pakolliset kentt on merkitty *. Chicago Tribune historical photo, Woodrow R. Crane is at the AM transmitter control panel for WGN radio, circa July 23, 1939. As first reported by Robert Feder Friday morning, WGN-AM morning personality Steve Cochran was dropped from the station and replaced by a returning Bob Sirott, who'll take over January 6. I didnt think Cochran was that bad, but I had to turn the station off 2 years ago because I could stand listening to the two that followed Cochran in the morning and the idiot who does the over night show. [2] He also attended Columbia College Chicago where he studied film. Kritika Kumari - September 13, 2021. Former WGN-AM 720 morning man Spike O'Dell, who has been diplomatically quiet concerning changes at his former station, offered his unequivocal support for ousted midday host Steve Cochran via. Darien getting its first marijuana dispensing business, Chicago-area man mourns loss of 100 relatives in Turkey earthquake. Roe Conn, Anna Davlantes, Violeta Podrumedic (Sean Su / Purple Photo Group / for WGN Radio) Todd Manley at the entrance to the Allstate Skyline Studio. Also out is overnight personality Nick Digilio, who also was notified Friday. | Adult film actress Seka talks about her legendary. Chicago Tribune historical photo, The Theater in the Air cast and their audience are in WGN's newly remodeled studio #1-A in January 1951. 1st they dump Bill & Wendy and now Steve? Chicago Tribune historical photo, The view of studio 3A in the new WGN building. Sadly, this new management doesnt like duos so Bill and Wendy will not be back, nor any other pairings. Yuck , what dry and better than thou persona. Listeners would feel respected. Now it is loosing me as a listener. This is not at all a GOOD thing. It was the only one of its kind in the country in 1936. I agree. While most are from the 30's and 40's, there are some from even before that period and a few from the 50's and beyond. I am/was an all day, long time listener. You would have never seen Collins or ODell in this venue Vikki Kokuzian comes to WGN Radio with a background contributing to the top industries and companies in the world. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2021 T Dog Media, Inc.. All rights reserved. Ill never understand the cut throat business that is radio. Voiceover talent. Chicago Tribune historical photo, WGN radio stars choose up sides after leaving the studio to head to practice for a game with the WGN softball team to be played at Spencer Coals Field on Aug. 1, 1941. My brother-in-law listened to WGN too. I am tired of John Williams, and the repeative commercials. Chicago Tribune historical photo, Members of the dramatic cast of "Carmen" as presented over WGN and the Mutual network are Betty Winkler as Carmen, Marvin Mueller as Escamillo, Elia Braca as Mercedes, and Willard Waterman as Pedro. Chicago Tribune historical photo, The marquee on the Michigan Avenue WGN building welcomes the Shriners on July 17, 1958. Suggest a Correction The importance of local news and information being shared by someone who is trusted by our audience is paramount during these challenging times," Mary Sandberg Boyle, general manager of WGN, said in a statement. I get not stand Landdecker. Both AM and television programs originated from this studio. That did it never listened again until today. -. WGN handout, Thousands of owners of radiophone receiving sets in a 500 mile radius of Chicago "listen in" nightly to a musical and news bulletin service sent from atop the Commonwealth Edison building by the Westinghouse Electric and Mfg. So it's a betrayal of the listeners when management severs those connections without notice. WGN Radio, along with our friends from Pepper Construction, celebrated the opening of our new studios with an open house on Wednesday, August 29, 2018. Take a look at some of the photos. Heres how, Deans Weekender: Ashanti & Ja Rule take the stage, 4th grader reports Fridays weather forecast, Winter Storm Warning issued Friday as snow moves, Winter Storm Watch issued Friday for Chicago area, Tuesday Forecast: Temps in upper 40s with mostly. We have stood in front of microphones and spoken our minds. Thank God you got rid of Cochran! Anyone can just repeat the news over and over again. But Sirott being hired again reminds me of something I wrote some time ago saying Chicago radio has become a nursing home for broken-down talent who refuse to leave the stage. Sadly, this is truer now Chicago radio simply sticks with the same tired wheel of safe personalities, even as we head into the next decade. OH my I left Chicago in 2012, but still listened to WGN Stream. Station albums were a popular promotional item, often being distributed by the outlet's . Cant wait to hear their voices again. Cant stand that snotty, conceited Sirott. From left are, Lucy Gilman, actress in Painted Dreams, who'll be bat girl, Marlin Hurt, Gordon Vandover and Bud Vandover of Tom, Dick and Harry comedy team; Announcer Ed Allen, and, squatting, Attilio Baggiore, noted WGN tenor. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); You have entered an incorrect email address! Will she be dragged along as well? Cochran becomes the highest-rated host to be canned in Chicago radio in years; in 2007, Howard McGee was released from WGCI despite finishing first in adults 18-34 in morning drive and was replaced by Steve Harveys syndicated morning show (McGee has since returned to Chicago radio in a weekend/fill-in role at WVAZ-FM, WGCIs sister station.). To learn more about ChatGPT and how we can inspire students, we sat down with BestReviews book expert, Ciera Pasturel. For Sirott, this marks the third time he has been employed at WGN, returning to the station after he and wife Marianne Murciano left in 2015 after a two-year run. Im so disappointed with WGN. Supremely disappointed! Jos kytt matkapuhelinta, voit mys kytt valikkolaatikkoa selaimesta. And yesthe ever present I am right and you are wrong my way or nothing, THE last wordALWAYSand the continuous bashing of the current administrationWAY TOO POLITICAL for a morning drive personality Comedy legend Dick Smothers of The Smothers Brothers, Celebrate the Luck of the Irish at Chief ONeills, Wonderful World of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Pouring in the music at Chicagos Salt Shed, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Jos et lyd etsimsi tarkkaa resoluutiota, valitse natiivi tai korkeampi resoluutio. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. Jos et lyd etsimsi tarkkaa resoluutiota, valitse natiivi tai korkeampi resoluutio. Cochran was always a rather annoying DJ. At the WGN microphone are Olan Soule, Eloise Kummer, and Laurette Fillbrandt. Weeknights, 10 to 1 Central. Conn joined WGN as afternoon host in 2015 after 25 years at Cumulus Media news/talk WLS 890-AM. I absolutely loved Biff left and Wendy Snyder..both so very smart, informative and clever.funny so I dont get at all Anna devlontes(boring because tries to hard and missing the clever funny and synicale flare) getting in with less of these qualities!!? #37 of 61. Now, Steve Cochrane? Heres how, Deans Weekender: Ashanti & Ja Rule take the stage, 4th grader reports Fridays weather forecast, Best smart home devices for older users, according, How to get started on spring cleaning early, according, Worried about your student using ChatGPT for homework? Clarence Dittman, and announcer Jack Brickhouse of WGN, broadcast from the Chicago airport tarmac in 1942. Added to the mix is longtime radio personality Lisa Dent, who will be heard weekday afternoons. Leonard was the WGN-TV and Radio entertainment critic for over 30 years. I believe Pete had the evening slot for a while on WGN about maybe 5 or 7 years ago(?) Someone doesnt know their audience. Bring back Cochran and Wendy. WGN Morning News B-Team recreate Addams Family, Tornado touchdowns reported in Mondays storms, Friday Forecast: Temps in upper 20s with a chance, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Franklyn MacCormack (birth name was Franklin H. McCormick) was born March 8, 1906, in Waterloo, Iowa and became an outstanding American radio personality from the 1930s into the 1970s. Good bye WGN. "Unnecessary Censorship" Listener generated submissions which involve Nick's clean conversations and are turned into dirty conversations by using the *bleep* sound. Whatever happens to newspapers and magazines Im sorry to say it, but I think radio is next on the list. Chicago Bears Radio Producer Now you can get anything you want, anytime you want, anywhere you want and you dont have to wait for radio or television to do it for you. Audio Ink is a trademark of Streamline Publishing, Inc. Log In (Existing Digital Subscriptions Only), Lieberman Takes Important Sales Role With iHeart. Editors note: there is some damage to this photo. All rights reserved. I always listened to the business lunch with Steve Bertran. 1. He was also host of the WGN Radio program. We've all lashed out at a co-worker or two, but not many of us have done it on television. Steve Cochrans firing was the last straw. So. I got tired of him and his staff treating Cochrun like he is the Holy Messiah! True talent of Bill Leff & Steve Cochrane will lead them to better oportunities, respect, and appreciation. What I don't understand, though, is why they so seldom give ousted personalities the chance to say goodbye and thanks to their listeners. LOVE Bob and could not wait to return to WGN. Will definitely tune into their show. Like you said the ratings were great. Most, Karen Conti, Dan Hampton and most anyone he spoke with. Bill and Wendy ARE THE BEST. Chicago Tribune historical photo, Henry Weber conducts the Chicago Theater of the Air orchestra over WGN radio, the Chicago Tribune station, in 1945. If they're afraid of profane rants or boss bashing from terminated hosts not unheard of! I actually turned Sirott off today-dull with not much to say. Cochran was re-hired in 2013 for morning drive after spending a few years at Salems WIND-AM. Chicago Tribune historical photo, A crowd listens to Marion Claire as she sang a number on the balcony in the Nathan Hale Court after her regular broadcast on WGN, circa Aug. 4, 1942. Chicago Tribune historical photo, A performance of 'The Belle of New York' by the Chicago Theater of the Air on Jan. 22, 1944, at the Medinah Temple in Chicago. Chicago Tribune historical photo, William G. Nylen, from left, William G. Naef, and William G. Nida take turns at the microphone at a meeting of the WGN club on April 10, 1941. VANDEVELDE will move to the noon-7p (CT) shift at WGN. Still like Roes insanity on the drive home. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. The most encouraging words came from the station's top drive-time stars morning host Steve Cochran and afternoon host Roe Conn. Hailing "the continued greatness of WGN," Conn wrote: "Our new studio assets will provide better, broader delivery of our content. Really miss Bill & Wendy. Stupid decisions. Fun Tunner 2022 Sirott is ok. "Straight Out of Context" - listeners submit clips of things that people on the station say that may sound dirty if taken out of context. The Country Radio Hall of Fame inductee is currently heard on WGN-AM 720. 1,577 posts. 2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. I listen to Nick D now and then. Going back to another station NO more wgn. Theres a valid reason he was kept in a room by himselfno one else could fit with him AND his ego. Thats what Steve always did was tell the facts. Always patting himself on His back! Steve made me think and laugh, while stuck in traffic on the Kennedy each morning. WEEKDAYS: 4 - 6 a.m.: WGN Early Morning News 6 - 10 a.m.: Bob Sirott 10 a.m. - noon: John Williams noon - 1 p.m.: Wintrust Business Lunch with John Williams 1 - 2 p.m.: John Williams 2 - 6 p.m.: Lisa Dent 6 - 7 p.m: Your Money Matters with Jon Hansen (Monday-Thursday nights) 6 - 7 p.m.: On the Map with Dave Plier (Friday nights) Landecker will fill in during afternoons until September 28 when he'll move permanently to a new evening show airing from 7 to 10 p.m. Monday through Friday. Chicago Tribune historical photo, WGN broadcasts pre-game instructions from the field for the first time in Western Conference history at the Northwestern-Michigan game on Oct. 18, 1941. Totally agree with you about missing Nick. Chicago Tribune historical photo, John Holbrook loses a bet and gets a pie in the face while Colleen Moore, left, and Jess Kirkpatrick watch in Studio #2 at WGN on March 1, 1944. So I had doubts about Pete trying this morning gig at the Drive. My Dad had WGN on all the time. Claimed he could do an hour on any topic someone could throw at him. No Cochran = Happy 2020. Eddie Hubbard Former WGN Radio personality. Were not relevant anymore. Hope its soon! 1/9/2023 Updated review. I would say theyre turning wgn into a geriatric radio station but even my 91 year old mother thinks the new line up is boring even before they fired Steve Cochran. WGN 720-AM, the Nexstar Media Group news/talk station, chose the Friday night of a three-day holiday weekend to drop the bombshell that it's overhauling its weekday afternoon and evening lineup. This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. End of an era sadly. Theyre firing the WRONG people! I looked forward to good things. I guess after Bob Collins no one could measure up. Next to go should be John Williams, also self centered and opinionated and dismissive of other points of view. I look forward to see what Bob brings to the table, WITHOUT his wife. Nextstar is destroying what was a legend in radio . Former Artistic Director at The Factory Theater. Morgans love for weather began in August 2004 when she was in the eye of Hurricane Charley. Air 'Em Out: When NYC Radio Personalities Beef. 4-6 am. The firing of Bill, Wendy and Steve Cochran make many of us feel like weve lost some family members. Any sound, from the drop of a pin to the crash of a giant airplane, can be made by this $600 sound effects machine, specially built for WGN radio. Also starting September 28, longtime WGN Radio news anchor Steve Bertrand will host Chicagos Afternoon News from 4 to 7 p.m. Its being billed as a daily newsmagazine show. Co. and The Chicago Tribune in 1921. It was time for Steve to go.Good luck to Bob. Listen 24/7 for free on Audacy. Chicago Tribune historical photo, Charles Correll, left, and Freeman Gosden in their "Sam and Henry" character days, before they jumped from radio station WGN to a national network and became "Amos 'n' Andy." WGNs hiring of Sirott tells us there is a lot of truth to what Joyner said because quite basically, relying on the same ol limited list of names to keep your radio station relevant is particularly asinine at a time when radio is failing to attract the next generation of listeners.

Testicle Festival 2022 Ohio, The Addison At Universal Boulevard, Florida Man April 8, When A Guy Brags About Himself To You, Articles W

wgn radio personalities picturesLeave A Comment